In mid-December, we passed a balanced City Budget for the next 2 years that meets all of our current obligations and brings our rainy-day fund to a responsible level.
My colleagues and I participated in over 9 budget workshops with Department Directors and listened to the public, all who provided input in many different ways. Some highlights of this budget include:
- Maintains fire, medical and policy personnel at the current level of service.
- Public Safety continues to receive about 60% of all City revenues; the safety and security of our community remains our top priority.
- Creates a first-ever “Permanent Pothole Crew” that will be able to permanently repair twice the amount of potholes around the city, and do it correctly the first time.
- Resources to improve neighborhood business district streetscapes in the Lincoln and South Tacoma Way Business Districts.
- Protects our local social and human services safety net, helping local families find shelter, food, domestic violence support services and job training.
- Resources ensure Tacoma’s historic Pantages Theater is earthquake-protected and set the stage for a multi-million dollar private fundraising campaign from local donors and companies to make this indoor/outdoor entertainment venue even more spectacular.